How to Play Windows Games on Steam for Mac 2017
If you’re a Mac user and a gaming enthusiast, you may have felt left out when it comes to playing Windows games. Thankfully, with the help of modern technology, it’s now possible to play Windows games on your Mac through the popular gaming platform Steam. In this step-by-step guide, we’ll walk you through the process of playing Windows games on Steam for Mac in 2017, allowing you to enjoy your favorite games without needing to switch operating systems.
Traditionally, Mac users have faced difficulties in playing Windows games due to the difference in operating systems. However, thanks to the introduction of software like Wine, you can now run Windows applications on your Mac. Steam, the largest digital distribution platform for gaming, has also made efforts to provide a solution to this problem. With Steam, you can access a wide range of Windows games and play them on your Mac without any hassle.
The first step in playing Windows games on Steam for Mac is to download and install Steam on your computer. Simply visit the official Steam website, download the Mac version of the application, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. Once you have Steam installed, create a Steam account or log in with your existing account details.
After setting up your Steam account, the next step is to install Wine, the software that allows you to run Windows applications on your Mac. Wine is an open-source compatibility layer that translates Windows API calls into commands that can be understood by Mac’s operating system. To install Wine, you can visit the official Wine website and download the latest version available for Mac. Once downloaded, run the installer and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
With Steam and Wine now installed on your Mac, you’re ready to start playing Windows games. Launch Steam and log in to your account. From the Steam Library, you can browse the available Windows games and select the one you wish to play. Click on the game, and Steam will prompt you to install the game files. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process, and once it’s done, you’ll be able to launch and play the game on your Mac.
Playing Windows games on Steam for Mac in 2017 is no longer a distant dream. With the right tools and a little bit of patience, you can enjoy the latest and greatest Windows games on your Mac computer. So, go ahead and start exploring the vast world of gaming that Steam has to offer, and have fun playing your favorite games on your Mac!
Why Play Windows Games on Steam for Mac?
Mac computers have long been known for their sleek design and user-friendly interface. However, their gaming capabilities have often been limited compared to Windows PCs. Fortunately, Steam has provided a solution for Mac users who want to enjoy a wider variety of games.
By playing Windows games on Steam for Mac, gamers can access a vast library of titles that were previously unavailable to them. This opens up a world of possibilities, allowing Mac users to experience popular games such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Grand Theft Auto V, and Fallout 4.
Additionally, playing Windows games on Steam for Mac allows users to take advantage of the platform’s features and benefits. These include Steam’s social features, such as multiplayer matchmaking and in-game chat, as well as the ability to easily purchase and download new games.
Another reason to play Windows games on Steam for Mac is the potential for improved performance. Mac computers have traditionally lagged behind their Windows counterparts in terms of gaming performance. However, Steam’s compatibility layer, called Proton, can help to bridge this gap by optimizing Windows games for Mac systems.
Overall, playing Windows games on Steam for Mac provides Mac users with access to a wider range of games, improved performance, and the full suite of Steam’s features. Whether you’re a casual gamer or a dedicated enthusiast, this option allows you to enjoy the best of both worlds.
Step 1: Install Windows on Your Mac
If you want to play Windows games on your Mac through Steam, the first step is to install Windows on your Mac. There are two main methods to install Windows on a Mac: Boot Camp and virtual machine software.
Boot Camp is a built-in utility on Mac computers that allows you to partition your hard drive and install Windows on a separate partition. Here’s how to use Boot Camp:
- Open the Boot Camp Assistant, which can be found in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
- Click “Continue” and choose the Windows ISO file or installation disc.
- Specify the size of the Windows partition and click “Install”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Windows installation process.
Virtual Machine Software
Another option is to use virtual machine software, such as Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion, to create a virtual Windows environment on your Mac. Here’s how to install Windows using virtual machine software:
- Download and install a virtual machine software of your choice.
- Open the software and create a new virtual machine.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the virtual machine, including selecting the Windows ISO file or installation disc.
- Start the virtual machine and install Windows following the prompts.
Once you have successfully installed Windows on your Mac, you can proceed to the next step of playing Windows games on Steam for Mac.
Option 1: Use Boot Camp
If you want to play Windows games on your Mac, one option is to use Boot Camp. Boot Camp is a built-in utility in Mac computers that allows you to install and run Windows on your Mac. This means you can have both macOS and Windows operating systems on your computer, and switch between them as needed.
Step 1: Check System Requirements
Before you get started, make sure your Mac meets the system requirements for Boot Camp. You will need an Intel-based Mac computer, at least 55GB of free disk space for the Windows partition, and a Windows 10 installation disk or disk image.
Step 2: Prepare for Installation
First, backup all important data on your Mac, as the Boot Camp installation process involves partitioning your hard drive. Then, connect your Windows installation disk or disk image to your Mac.
Step 3: Open Boot Camp Assistant
To start the installation process, open the Boot Camp Assistant. You can find this utility by searching for it in Spotlight or navigating to Applications > Utilities > Boot Camp Assistant.
Step 4: Create a Windows Partition
In the Boot Camp Assistant window, click “Continue”. The assistant will guide you through the process of creating a Windows partition on your Mac’s hard drive. You will be asked to specify the size of the partition and allocate disk space for Windows.
Step 5: Install Windows
Once you have created the Windows partition, click “Install” to begin the installation process. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows on your Mac. Make sure to select the correct partition during the installation process.
Step 6: Install Windows Support Software
After Windows is installed, your Mac will automatically restart and boot into Windows. Once you are logged in to Windows, insert the Mac OS X installation disk or USB flash drive that came with your Mac. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the necessary drivers and support software for your Mac.
Note: If you don’t have the installation disk or USB flash drive, you can download the Windows Support Software from the Boot Camp Assistant.
Step 7: Install Steam
Now that Windows is fully set up on your Mac, you can proceed to install Steam. Open your web browser and go to the Steam website. Download the Windows version of Steam and follow the on-screen instructions to install it on your computer.
Step 8: Sign in to Steam
Once Steam is installed, launch the application and sign in to your Steam account. If you don’t have a Steam account yet, you can create one for free on the Steam website.
Step 9: Download and Play Windows Games
With Steam installed and your account logged in, you can now browse the Steam Store and download and play Windows games on your Mac. Simply search for the games you want to play, purchase and download them, and start playing!
Remember to check the system requirements for each game before purchasing, to ensure compatibility with your Mac and Windows setup.
Option 2: Use Virtualization Software
If you’re unable to use Boot Camp or don’t want to partition your hard drive, another option to play Windows games on your Mac is to use virtualization software. Virtualization software allows you to run a virtual machine on your Mac, which emulates a Windows environment. This means you can install and run Windows applications, including Steam and Windows games, without needing a separate partition.
One popular virtualization software for Mac is VirtualBox. VirtualBox is a free and open-source virtualization solution that can run on Mac, Windows, and Linux. Here’s how you can use VirtualBox to play Windows games on Steam for Mac:
- Download and install VirtualBox from the official website.
- Once VirtualBox is installed, open it and click on “New” to create a new virtual machine.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your virtual machine. You’ll need a copy of the Windows operating system to install on the virtual machine.
- After you’ve set up the virtual machine, click on “Settings” and go to the “Display” tab.
- Increase the video memory to improve the performance of your virtual machine.
- Insert the Windows installation media (DVD or ISO file) into your Mac, and start the virtual machine.
- Follow the instructions to install Windows on the virtual machine.
- Once Windows is installed, install Steam and any Windows games you want to play.
- Launch Steam and sign in to your account to access your Windows games library.
- You can now play Windows games on your Mac using VirtualBox!
Note that running virtual machines requires significant system resources, so make sure your Mac meets the minimum requirements for running VirtualBox and playing Windows games smoothly. Additionally, keep in mind that virtualization software may not provide the same level of performance as running games natively on Windows. However, it can still be a viable option for playing Windows games on your Mac if Boot Camp is not suitable for your needs.
Step 2: Install Steam on Your Mac
To play Windows games on your Mac, you need to install a program called Steam. Steam is a digital distribution platform developed by Valve Corporation, which allows you to purchase, download, and play a wide variety of games.
Here’s how you can install Steam on your Mac:
- Open your web browser and go to the official Steam website at store.steampowered.com.
- Click on the “Install Steam” button at the top right corner of the website.
- A pop-up window will appear. Click on the “Install Steam” button again to start the download.
- Once the download is complete, locate the Steam installation file in your Downloads folder.
- Double-click on the installation file to begin the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. You will be asked to agree to the terms and conditions, choose an installation location, and create a Steam account if you don’t already have one.
- After the installation is finished, launch Steam from your Applications folder.
- Sign in to your Steam account or create a new one if needed.
- Once you are logged in, you can browse the Steam store and purchase the Windows games you want to play on your Mac.
Now that you have Steam installed on your Mac, you are ready to move on to the next step and configure Steam for Windows game compatibility.
Create a Steam Account
In order to play Windows games on Steam for Mac, you’ll need a Steam account. If you don’t already have one, you can easily create one by following these steps:
1. Open your web browser and go to the Steam website.
2. Click on the “Join Steam” button located on the top right corner of the page.
3. Fill in the required information, including your email address, desired account name, and password. Make sure to choose a strong password to protect your account.
5. Complete the captcha to prove that you’re not a robot.
6. Click on the “Create My Account” button.
7. You will receive a confirmation email to verify your account. Follow the instructions in the email to complete the verification process.
8. Once your account is verified, you can download and install the Steam client on your Mac.
9. Launch the Steam client and log in using your newly created Steam account credentials.
10. Congratulations! You now have a Steam account and can start playing Windows games on your Mac using Steam.
Download and Install Steam for Mac
In order to play Windows games on your Mac through Steam, you will need to first download and install the Steam application for Mac. Here are the steps to do so:
Step 1: Visit the official Steam website
Open your preferred web browser and go to the official Steam website at https://store.steampowered.com/about/.
Step 2: Click on “Install Steam”
Once you are on the Steam website, locate and click on the “Install Steam” button. This will initiate the download of the Steam installer file.
Step 3: Run the Steam installer
Once the Steam installer file has finished downloading, navigate to your Downloads folder (or the folder where you saved the installer file) and double-click on it to run the installer.
Note: You may see a security prompt asking for permission to run the installer. If so, click “Open” to continue.
Step 4: Follow the on-screen prompts
After running the installer, you will be guided through the installation process. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation of Steam on your Mac.
Once the installation is complete, you can proceed to the next steps to configure Steam and start playing Windows games on your Mac.
Can I play Windows games on Steam if I have a Mac?
Yes, you can play Windows games on Steam if you have a Mac. There are a few methods you can use to achieve this, such as using Boot Camp, CrossOver, or a virtual machine.
What is Boot Camp and how can I use it to play Windows games on Steam for Mac?
Boot Camp is a utility that allows you to install and run Windows on a Mac. You can use it to create a separate partition on your Mac’s hard drive for Windows, which will enable you to dual-boot between macOS and Windows. Once you have Windows installed through Boot Camp, you can download and install Steam to play Windows games on your Mac.
What is CrossOver and how can I use it to play Windows games on Steam for Mac?
CrossOver is a program that allows you to run Windows applications, including Steam and Windows games, on your Mac without the need for a Windows license or installation. With CrossOver, you can simply download and install the Windows version of Steam, and then run it on your Mac to play Windows games on Steam.